How to Make Your Desk a Sanctuary
The look of your desk should be determined by what sort of person you are and what your job entails. If you do a creative job, it’s good to have plenty of visual stimulation around you.
However, if you’re easily distracted then try to keep your desk as clear as possible, so you won’t be sidetracked.” But no matter what your job, there are certain items no desk should be without.
- Natural light has an uplifting effect on moods so try to position your desk near a window. Failing that try to make sure you have adequate artificial lighting – halogen light provides the best imitators of the real thing.
- Keeping a plant on your desk not only gives you something nice to look at but also helps oxygenate the surrounding area.
- Set up a proper filing system and use it every day. Not only will you save time but it’ll give you a sense of accomplishment. Honest!
- Work can be wearing, so keep one thing in your drawer that’s guaranteed to put a smile on your face. It might be a photo or a book of jokes but have it on hand so you can whip it out when the European paper mountain lands on your desk.
- A lot of office stress is caused by muscle tension, so make sure your chair supports the small of your back. The ideal position is for you to be directly facing the computer screen with your feet flat on the floor and your knees placed at 90 degrees to your body.